Thursday, October 4, 2012

Phoning It In.txt


Rick Hill is the Valero Alamo Bowls VP of Marketing and Communications. Prior to the bowl, Rick spent 6 years working for the Spurs, one season with Missions Baseball and two fruitless months trying to sell season tickets for the S.A. Riders.

Im 0-2 on my last two days off. The first one was the Saturday before Thanksgiving. I knocked over a glass of water by my cell phone. I saved it from getting wet, but my charger was soaked.

So what did I do? I wiped up the spill and then proceeded to charge my iPhone 3 with a wet charger shorting out my three year old phone. Brilliant. I spent the next three hours of my off-day bouncing between the Apple and AT&T stores before breaking down and getting the new iPhone 4s.

Luckily, the next seven weeks provided plenty of opportunities to take advantage of the upgraded camera. ?In ct, the first three videos I captured with my new phone (Coach Sark walking into the hotelon team arrival,RG3 running onto the field for Baylors first practicein San Antonio andBaylor enjoying our Team Fiesta event) averaged over 850 views each.

Our unofficial mascot Flat Stanley made his debut at last years NCAA Regional hanging out withVCUs Shaka Smartbut came back out to hang with me and the two bowl teams.

By game day for the 2011 Valero Alamo Bowl I was still snapping pictures but the pace was clearly now a snowball rolling downhill.??I woke up at 5 :15 a.m. and captured a beautiful shot of a calm Alamodome from my hotel room. Morning meetings and walkthroughs of the game script flew by before we started organizing the press box, pregame parties and Fan Zone area.

Once the game started, the barrage of offensive records meant I spent all of my time running from the press box up a floor to the stats and broadcast booths. Post-game, our staff was compiling records until the last media member left the press box at 3:30 a.m. I drove them by golf cart all the way to the front door of the Marriott Riverwalk and then loaded everything onto dollies and back to our office.

Before leaving the stadium a full 24 hours after I arrived, I walked through the locker rooms and staged one last sleep deprived photo with my phone?after gathering all of team&8217;s left behind shirts, cletes, wristbands and uniforms.

The pace slows down but is still busy the week after the game so I didn&8217;t take a day off or mess with my phone&8217;s much heralded Siri feature until last Saturday. The 72 degree sunny weather enticed our?mily out for a day of horseback riding. The smiles turned to panic when my 7 year olds horse took off sprinting as I watched powerless. After 300 yards of a full gallop, the horse veered right and threw her off into a cactus.

No broken bones but head-to-toe scrapes with a hundred embedded cactus needles. The first command that I actually got Siri to answer correctly: Which way to the nearest childrens hospital.

After waiting for three hours in the emergency room, two doctors spent 90 straight minutes using glue, tape, tweezers and needles to rid her body of the cactus needles. My daughter&8217;s scgame walkthroughsreams??(Daddy, Daddy?why would you let them do this to me? I want to go home!) finally gave way to a smile leaving the hospital as the worst was over and she was ready to go to sleep.

And I was ready to go back to work.

Im 0-2 on my last two days off. The first one was the Saturday before Thanksgiving. I knocked over a glass of water by my cell phone. I saved it from getting wet, but my charger was soaked. So what did I do? I wiped up the spill and then proceeded to charge my iPhone [...]

Read More

Editors note:

This is an mySA.com City Brights Blog. These blogs are not written or edited by mySA or the San Antonio Express-News. The authors are solely responsible for the content.


No comments:

Post a Comment